Makes 6 servings
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Salad:
- 6 cups mesclun or mixed baby salad greens
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, such as lemon thyme, chives, spearmint or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan halves
- 12-20 edible flowers (golden nasturtiums and calendulas, purple and gold pansies, Johnny-jump-ups, violets)
Instructions for Dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; add garlic and seasoning, blend.
Instructions for Salad:
Wash the greens, dry in a salad spinner or between paper towels. Place in a large bowl with pecans. Rinse and dry flowers. Small flowers may be left whole, but remove petals from calendula; discard sepals and pollen. Toss greens with dressing. Just before serving, sprinkle flowers and petals over the salad.